IBM Systems Director 6.3 for IBM System x and BladeCenter Servers (XTRD1)
There is also an instructor-led online version of this course: IBM Systems Director 6.3 for IBM System x and BladeCenter Servers - Instructor Led Online - ILO (XTVD1).
IBM Systems Director is the platform management foundation for achieving Smarter Systems. IBM Systems Director enables integration with Tivoli, and third party management platforms, providing the building block for virtualization and integrated services management.
IBM Systems Director provides systems management personnel with a single-point-of-control, helping reduce IT management complexity and cost. With IBM Systems Director IT personnel are able to optimize computing and network resources, quickly respond to business requirements with greater delivery flexibility, and attain higher levels of services management with streamlined management of physical, virtual, storage and network resources. A set of common tasks included with IBM Systems Director provides many of the core capabilities required for basic management, which means instant out-of-the-box business value. These common tasks include discovery, inventory, configuration, system health, monitoring, updates, event notification and automation across managed systems.
This course discusses the features, functions, and usage of IBM Systems Director 6.3 to manage System x and BladeCenter equipment.This course is a combination of both IBM Systems Director Base and Advanced (XTR47) and (XTR48) topics.
The course will include a review of IBM Systems Director installation, navigating the web console interface, working with status management, working with update management, working with automation management, System x platform management, storage managment, VMControl, Active Energy Manager, Network Control and Service and Support management. Hands on lab will be included.
- Course administration and introduction
- Unit 1 - IBM Systems Director overview
- Unit 2 - Planning and Installation
- Exercise 1 - Install IBM Systems Director 6.3
- Exercise 2 - Navigate the user interface
- Unit 3 - Base tasks (part 1)
- Exercise 3 - Set up user security
- Unit 3 - Base tasks (part 2)
- Exercise 4 - Install Platform Agent
- Exercise 5 - Install Common Agent
- Exercise 6 - Work with Status manager
- Exercise 7 - Work with Update manager
- Exercise 8 - Work with Automation manager
- Unit 4 - BladeCenter and System x management
- Exercise 9 - System x management
- Exercise 10 - BladeCenter management
- Unit 5 - Storage management
- Exercise 11 - Exploring Storage management
- Unit 6 - VMControl
- Exercise 12 - Exploring VMControl Express (part1)
- Exercise 12 - Exploring VMControl Express (part 2)
- Unit 7 - Active Energy Manager
- Exercise 13 - Exploring Active Energy Manager
- Unit 8 - Network Control
- Unit 9 - Service and Support Manager
- Exercise 14 - Exploring Service and Support Manager
Who Can Benefit
Enrollment in this intermediate course is not restricted. However, those taking this course include technical IBM personnel from the FTSS, ATS, and Techline organizations as well as business partner technical personnel involved with planning, installation, configuration, and upgrading of System x servers and use of IBM Systems Director systems management software.
You should complete the following courses, or have equivalent skills:
- System x Technical Principles (XTR11) / (XTV11)
- IBM Systems Director 6.3 Introduction (XTR46) / (XTV46)
1. IBM Systems Director 6.2 Overview
2. Planning and Installation
3. Base Tasks
4. BladeCenter and System x Management
5. Storage Management
7. Active Energy Manager
8. Network Control
9. Service and Support Manager