Developing Business Rule Applications in IBM WebSphere ILOG Rules for COBOL V7 (WB305)
This 3-day instructor-led course introduces Rules for COBOL developers to IBM WebSphere ILOG Rules for COBOL and how it interacts with other JRules modules. Students learn the concepts, architecture, components, processes, and procedures necessary to develop and implement an integrated business rule solution using IBM WebSphere ILOG Rules for COBOL V7.0. After completing this course, students can use basic function in Rules for COBOL, but are not expert JRules users.
Through instructor-led presentations, product demonstrations, and hands-on practices, students learn the core features of IBM WebSphere ILOG Rules for COBOL V7.0 and how to perform basic tasks, including:
- Setting up a rule authoring environment in Rule Studio based on the data items imported from a COBOL copybook
- Authoring the business rule artifacts required to implement enterprise business policies
- Working collaboratively with less technical business users so that they can maintain or develop business rules independently
- Integrating the developed business rule artifacts within their enterprise environment
In addition to these core functions, students also learn how to share rules between COBOL and Java rule projects, simplify or enhance their authoring experience, control how business rule artifacts are executed, and identify rule governance issues.
During the step-by-step practices, students produce a business rule solution that demonstrates the core features of IBM WebSphere ILOG Rules for COBOL V7.0. Students apply their newly-acquired knowledge to design, develop, synchronize, and integrate the specified comprehensive business rule solution with IBM WebSphere ILOG Rules for COBOL V7.0.
The course ends with a half-day workshop, where students follow an end-to-end practice from importing a COBOL copybook to generating the COBOL code that will execute the rules they have created.
For information on other related WebSphere courses, visit the WebSphere Education Training Paths Web site:
- Course introduction
- Introducing business rules
- Introducing IBM WebSphere ILOG Rules for COBOL
- Programming with business rules
- Developing business object models
- Orchestrating ruleset execution
- Authoring rules
- Enabling business rule management
- Sharing rules between COBOL and Java projects
- Generating COBOL code for rule execution
- Customizing rule authoring
- Rule governance
- Rules for COBOL workshop
- Course summary
Who Can Benefit
This intermediate course is designed for COBOL application developers.
Before taking this course, students should:
- Have a basic understanding of the Enterprise COBOL programming language
- Be able to build a COBOL copybook
- Be able to compile, link, and execute a COBOL program